Sunday, November 13, 2011

A Vintage Affair by Isabel Wolff

A Vintage Affair has changed my view of fiction novels that lean towards chick-lit. I was SHOCKED at how much I enjoyed this! The main girl, Phoebe, opens a vintage clothing store not long after her best friend dies. While working she meets an old woman who lived during the Holocaust and harbors a secret that she decides to share with Phoebe, and it is this secret that drives the plot of the book. There is, of course, a romantic side story but that is not the main focus of the book, which I found rather refreshing. The story was so touching and the ending brought me to tears, but in a good way. It was realistic, showing the negatives in life, love, and family, while still showing how in the end things tend to work out, even if not how we'd planned.
It was an easy read... I knocked it out in around 3 days since I started it in the middle of the school week. I definitely recommend it for someone that enjoys a little bit of romance but not necessarily romance novels. I don't want to give away too much of the plot so I'll keep it at that. You should definitely add this to your reading list!

No comments:

Post a Comment