Saturday, October 29, 2011

Journey to the Centre of the Earth by Jules Verne

Today has been a reading day... 2 and a half books so far!

I must admit, Journey to the Centre of the Earth was my first "sci-fi" work. And I must admit, I actually enjoyed it. And I'm surprised because science fiction is so not usually my thing. I would give it 3 out of 5 stars. I had expected to finish this book rather quickly because it is so short, but it actually took me over a month to complete. Granted I did put it down for several weeks. So while I did enjoy it, it didn't grasp me in a way that made me unable to put it down. I actually put it down to read another book. But now, having finished it, I'm very glad I read it. I found the story line to be unique and adventurous but I was a little disappointed in the character development... the professor was really the only character that I felt had a "personality". Even his nephew (also the narrator) felt very unknown, other than his love for science, his fiance, and his unmistakable fear about making the journey to the center of the earth. I found myself wishing that I knew more about him... about everyone really. But that aside, I enjoyed the premise of the book. I could really picture the seas and passage ways, and I kept wondering how they would get out and what they would find. I was a great new work, especially for that time. Very innovative.

No comments:

Post a Comment